Saturday, February 8, 2014

#3 Subway agrees to end use of controversial chemical after food blogger Vani Hari's protest

Published: Feb 6, 2014
Source: CBC

After an online petition started by Vari Hani, Subway is bowing to the public pressure and removing the chemical found in the bread of their sandwiches. It's the same chemical that's used in yoga mats and shoe soles.

The chemical "azodicarbonamide" has already been banned in Europe, as well as Britain and Australia, yet it's still in Subway bread across North America. Subway has said, that it is in  the process of phasing out the chemical with the complete conversion being soon.

Most of us, like Vani Hari, the FoodBabe.com blogger who uncovered this discovery, have been eating Subway thinking it was a healthy alternative to fast food, but the bottom line is they use chemicals to save money.

What is "azodicarbonamide?" It's used by rubber and plastic industries to produce rubber. It's also used in pesticides. Subway uses it because as a food additive it can bleach the flour and make the dough easier to work with, therefore making the cooked bread softer.

I think Subway is making the right decision to phase out this chemical in their breads as promptly as possible, because had I known I was eating a rubber found in shoe soles and yoga mats, I probably would have never eaten there!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/subway-agrees-to-end-use-of-controversial-chemical-after-food-blogger-vani-hari-s-protest-1.2525447

4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention Kelly! Very informative! Leave the question of how many other restaurants or chains are using the same chemical to make their bread, this would be interesting to know. The knowledge of others doing the same think would make me think twice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, such an informative article. Never in years I would of think of Subway as bad for you. They advertise everything as health conscious possible and come to find they are doing this to their customers really grosses me out. Its good that they are correcting the problem at least. Amazing job Kelly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a past employee of Subway, this is horrifying! For 4 years I handled and ate Subway bread almost everyday! It appals me to think of all the chemicals I was eating! Although this article does not state the scope of the health risks, I fear to hear what they are! I was forced to leave Subway due to a skin condition that was made worse by the soaps and sanitizers, however, now I wonder if it could have been enhanced by this chemical I was consuming on a daily basis. I am glad to hear that they are phasing this chemical out; I simply wish this would have been done sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this article is really interesting! I eat Subway often, and now fear what this chemical may have done to my body. I always feel good about choosing Subway over McDonald's and now wonder why Subway would chance ruining their reputation by using this chemical. I personally want to know when this chemical is phased out, so I can be happy enjoying a Subway sub.

    ReplyDelete